Author Topic: Interview Tips  (Read 789 times)

mehedi

• Management
Interview Tips
« on: April 28, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »
Dramatically Improve Your Interviewing Skills

Interviewing is not a science. Nor is it an art form. It is simply an imperfect form of human communication designed to increase the predictive validity of potential employer-employee relationships. And it is very imperfect.
You finally have an interview! Your moment of truth has arrived and it is important to make the most of it. No matter where you went to school, no matter what your GPA is, no matter how much experience you have, no matter who you know--if you aren't able to interview successfully, you won't get the job. Following are some insights designed to help you successfully interview and get the job you want
Your objective in every interview should be to take yourself one step further toward generating the job offer. You can do that by doing your very best in each and every interview. Treat every interview as if it were the only one you will ever get with that company and your only opportunity to convince them that you are the right candidate for the position. Although there may be several interviews before the eventual offer, you must score positively in each interview.

Attitude is the Key

The key element to successful interviewing is not your experience, your grades, what classes you took, your extracurricular activities, or any of the other basic necessities. Those skills are what got you the interview. The key element to successful interviewing can be summed up in one word: attitude. If you want to rise above others with better experience, better grades, or better anything, you will need to work on developing a highly positive work attitude.
Why is attitude so important? Because most companies already have their full share of multi-talented superstars who care about no one but themselves. Ask any manager who the most valuable member of his team is, and he will point not to the overrated superstar, but to the person:
   Who has the "can do" attitude,
   The person who can be counted on in any situation,
   The person who truly strives for excellence.
So don't worry if you are not "superstar" quality. If you can show me, in your words and actions, that you are ready to put forth your very best effort toward achieving excellence, you will be chosen over the superstar.
If you can show me, by words and examples, your "can do" attitude, it is you I will hire, while all of the superstars will receive polite rejection letters to add to their growing collections.

The One Thing You Must Do Before Your First Interview

Practice, before you go through an actual interview, you should first go through a mock interview. The mock interview is more than just a chance to work out your interview jitters. It is an opportunity to practice your interviewing technique and answers live. It is also a chance to hear constructive feedback from someone who can guide you toward improving your interviewing style and presentation.
Just one mock interview will result in a marked improvement in your interviewing skills. Why? For the same reason that a speech is not a speech while it is still on paper or just floating around in your head. It is not a speech until you give it verbally. The first time you give it in front of an audience (remember your first speech in Speech 101?), it will come out nothing like what you prepared. It is the same with interviewing. It is not enough to look at an interview question and say, "Yeah, I know the answer to that one." You need to practice your answer. Live. In front of someone else.
Go through at least one mock interview. For maximum effectiveness, review your answers and then go through a second mock interview. Even if you ace the second mock interview, it will be well worth it since it will give you confidence in your first real interview.

Insider Company Information

One critical aspect of job search preparation that can truly set you apart is employer research. Employer research is what brings you together and keeps you together with those who have the power and authority to potentially offer your first position.
Employer research serves a dual purpose. First, you will need to identify and target specific hiring companies in your job search. Second, you will need to gather detailed information about each target employer in order to be adequately prepared for making direct contact. While the research guides provide the basic information that will give you a broad overview, it is the detailed information that will set you apart from the crowd.
Sadly, most college students know little if anything about the employer they are contacting or even interviewing with. The quickest showstopper can come when I ask (whether on the phone or in person), "What do you know about our company?" If you have not even taken the time to do this basic research, why should I commit a segment of my busy day to speaking with you? Unfortunately, few are able to respond with even the basics. Strike one. Fewer still are able to articulate any information specific to our company. Strike two.
Job search is a two-way street. Don't just go begging for any job. Doing detailed research on each potential employer will assist you in better understanding which companies you may have an interest in working for. And it will give you the ammunition you need to be successful in securing a job offer from the employer of your choice.

By,
Syed Mehedi Mahmud
Intern at BSDI